Opinionated Rugby Commentary - by Fans for Fans
Spill what you really think about events in the rugby world.
Rugby World Cup Team - World Cup XV 87 views
03 October 2011 by The Swede Eaters
Scotty Donaldson looks at a World Cup XV based on testrugby.com average statistics. There are some interesting selections here. Do you agree with the statistics?
The Rugby World Cup has reached the Quarter Finals stage and with all teams playing four matches, it is the best time to produce a Team of Rugby World Cup 2011 based on statistics in the www.testrugby.com game.
Here are the criteria - to be selected a player must have
1) Played in at least two matches
2) Scored the highest average points (points per match)
3) Scored within the top 20 total points for their position.
4) We have included actual positions e.g. we have split frontrowers into props and hooker.
5) We have included players in the position mentioned in www.testrugby.com even if they played in a different position.
Limitations of my team
1) Some players didn't play full matches and so this dropped their average points.
2) Some squads rotated players, so Zac Guildford scored 1015 points but only played one match.
3) Some players had a higher average than players in their general position but not their specific position, e.g. some frontrowers scored higher points than the props who made the squad. To help with this we have also included the names of the next highest average frontrower in the highly commended section.
George North from Wales is the top overall player with 1685 points. He scored three tries, three assists, nine line-breaks, 29 go forwards and 18 tackles.
Jerome Kaino from New Zealand is the second highest points scorer with 1640 points including four tries, seven line-breaks, 27 go forwards and 32 tackles.
Sergio Parisse from Italy is the third highest points scorer with 1540 points including two tries and assists, 27 go forwards and tackles and 13 line outs.
The tackle counts sound low but are based on the definitions by Testrugby.com which is individual tackles, you don't get credit for tackles by two or more players.
Interestingly four players come from eliminated teams with Italy providing two of these players. The frontrowers from the minnows were high points scorers.
This team contains
3 New Zealand
3 South Africa
Rugby World Cup XV
Props Player Name Pos Team Games Total Avg Price
Hubert Buydens FR CAN 4 795 199 $492,500
Martin Castrogiovanni FR ITA 4 785 196 $847,500
Shota Horie FR JAP 3 1075 358 $655,000
Danie Rossouw LK SAF 4 1360 340 $1,152,500
Nathan Sharpe LK AUS 2 595 298 $1,125,000
Jerome Kaino LF NZL 4 1640 410 $1,162,500
Sergio Parisse LF ITA 4 1540 385 $1,162,500
Sean O'Brien LF IRE 3 1120 373 $870,000
Francois Hougaard HV SAF 4 1345 336 $777,500
First Five Eighth
Morne Steyn HV SAF 4 1465 366 $1,215,000
Richard Kahui CT NZL 3 1380 460 $1,130,000
Adam Ashley-Cooper CT AUS 4 1475 369 $1,167,500
George North OB WAL 4 1685 421 $885,000
Chris Ashton OB ENG 4 1450 362 $1,175,000
Israel Dagg OB NZL 3 1035 345 $1,107,500
Leonardo Ghiraldini FR ITA 3 915 305 $982,500
Huw Bennet FR WAL 3 800 267 $1,100,000
Berrick Barnes HV AUS 2 675 338 $1,167,500
Sonny Bill Williams CT NZL 4 1360 340 $1,195,000
Lucas Gonzalez Amorosino OB ARG 3 1070 357 $532,500
What do you think of the Team of Rugby World Cup 2011? Do you agree with the statistics?